The Cumbernauld House Trust group was constituted on 1st April 2010 with the purpose of securing, restoring and sustaining Cumbernauld House in Cumbernauld and the surrounding area as a community facility.
The house has been subsequently purchased by a developer and despite local campaigning to stop it going ahead the house is in the process of being turned into flats. The charity however is still going strong and has decided to maintain a watching brief on the work being done on the house whilst at the same time working to promote the other goals of the charity when it was set up. These goals are –
- To advance citizenship and community spirit, positive citizenship and the engagement of the residents of Cumbernauld.
- To advance citizenship in Cumbernauld by promoting the development of Cumbernauld House, outlining the priorities, aspirations, issues and concerns of Cumbernauld residents in relation to resources, facilities and services through consultation with individuals, groups and communities of interest in Cumbernauld.
- To advance the heritage of Cumbernauld by working to protect, conserve and improve the environment of Cumbernauld House on a sustainable model, development which meets the needs of the present without compromising the abilities of future generations, for the benefit of the residents of Cumbernauld
- To advance citizenship in Cumbernauld by working to support, develop and promote opportunities for social, recreational, sport and leisure activity and the development of community facilities and resources in Cumbernauld to meet the needs of the community.
- To advance education for the residents of Cumbernauld by promoting and increasing training and learning opportunities.
Cumbernauld has been much maligned in the recent past and despite the facts of the matter being that it is a beautiful and rewarding place to live with a wonderful heritage. The trust is working on a variety of schemes to try to address some of this negativity including some soon to be announced projects.